In recent years, we have become more aware of the need to lead a healthier lifestyle, both for physical and mental well-being . In colleges and schools, in the workplace, in gyms and other social settings, we have resources and information at our disposal on the need to exercise, get adequate sleep, and eat a healthy diet . All this information available to us is thanks to health education – promoting health to reduce injuries and illnesses.
In this post, we will look at the definition of health education and how the European University can help you achieve your goal of working in the health sector and educating people on how to make lifestyle changes. Some examples include studying our Master’s Degree in Clinical Nutrition Online or our Master’s Degree in Child and Youth Psychology .
The concept of health education: WHO
While the idea that educating about health care issues is a proactive and cost-effective way to prevent disease has been around for a long time, it was the World Health Organization (WHO) that defined the term and also distinguished between health education. and health promotion .
According to them, health education ” comprises consciously constructed learning opportunities that involve some form of communication designed to improve health literacy, including the improvement of knowledge and the development of life skills that lead to individual and community health. “.
The term health promotion, created in the Ottawa Charter in 1986 , goes one step further, because it is the ” process of allowing people to increase control and improve their health .” In other words, it is about governments and other organizations creating and providing services and support to promote healthy lifestyles.
Why is health education important?
There are many reasons why health education is important, both for individuals and for society as a whole. These are some of the key reasons:
- Health education improves the health of individuals, families, communities, states, and the nation.
- Health education improves the quality of lifefor all people.
- Health education reduces premature deaths.
- By focusing on prevention, health education reduces the costs(both financial and human) that individuals, employers, families, insurance companies, medical facilities, communities, the state, and the nation would spend on medical treatment.
Who provides health education?
Because the area of ??health is very broad, there are many specializations, usually of which you will need to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree. For example, if you are interested in psychology, you could specialize with an online psychology degree . If you are interested in physiotherapy, you can study a degree in physiotherapy or even specialize in the area of sports physiotherapy .
What do health educators do?
No matter what area of ??health they work in, there are a number of general tasks involved in health education. These include:
- Fight to find solutions to health-related problems
- Encourage healthy behavior
- Coordinate and implement health education programs.
- Manage health education programs and staff
- Assess individual and community needs
Where do health educators work?
: The most obvious place where professionals of health education is working in healthcare settings hospitals, medical clinics, etc . They can communicate with patients about individual steps to take to lead a healthier lifestyle, create activities and incentives to encourage use of services, and consult with other healthcare providers.
However, there are many other places where you can work in the area of ??health education, including;
- Schools, colleges and universities: health services, education for the health of students, staff and parents, and promoting healthy school and university environments and community partnerships.
- Business: Health educators conduct or coordinate employee counseling as well as education services, employee health risk assessments, and health screenings. They design, promote, and direct programs on weight control, hypertension, nutrition, substance abuse prevention, physical fitness, and stress management.
- In community organizationsand government departments , health educators help a community identify its needs, leverage its problem-solving skills, and mobilize its resources to develop, promote, implement, and evaluate strategies to improve its own health status.
What to study at the European University?
The European University is a top-level private university in Spain and recognized for our programs in the biomedical and health area . We have programs for all profiles, from online courses to undergraduate and graduate degrees at our Madrid, Valencia and Canary Islands campuses . Check out our portfolio of programs and take the next step to become a key player in the field of health education.