Accounting is an essential pillar in the administration of a company. For a business to function and grow, you must keep good control of your accounts and have a clear image of your financial situation at all times. For that reason, the accounting clerk profile continues to be one of the most demanded in companies and organizations of all sizes.
What is an accounting clerk?
The accounting clerk is in charge of controlling, managing and directing administrative accounting within an organization. In fact, your job goes beyond making the accounting entries. This professional focuses on business operations and is aware of the most important administrative processes to help optimize business activities by providing data on its operation and financial situation.
The main functions of an accounting clerk
The tasks of an administrative accounting assistant usually vary depending on the size of the company for which they work. However, in a general sense, the daily work of the accounting clerk tends to be carried out in the accounting and financial management of the company , operating in the public or private sector, involving different responsibilities:
- Commercial operations. Among the functions of an administrative accounting assistant is to find budgets for the company and carry out a first screening so that later the management can choose the most convenient one.
- Inventory management. The effectiveness of a business depends to a large extent on the proper management of inventory registration, purchase and issue. The accounting clerk is precisely in charge of managing the company’s inventory, keeping track of assets and liabilities to know the stock and assets available at all times.
- Billing. Among the responsibilities of an accounting clerk can also be found to prepare the company’s invoices , as well as record, organize and ensure that they comply with the current legal framework.
- Bank reconciliation. The accounting clerk is the one who supervises the bank accounts of the organization , in such a way that he also makes sure that there are no discrepancies between the records of income and expenses, as well as that the accounting entries coincide with the bank statements and the adjustments that he makes the bank.
- Accounting reports. Among the responsibilities of an accountant is to make the financial reports that are intended for the different heads of the departments and the management of the company to help them make the best decisions.
- Tax declarations. The profile of the accounting clerk is essential in all companies and organizations because it ensures that they comply with current tax laws, so that they do not incur delays or fines. You must also be in charge of making tax and tax returns , filling out and submitting the proper forms, as well as paying the corresponding taxes and duties.
- Projection of financial statements. The accounting clerk must evaluate the financial data of the company to make future predictions or anticipate problems and help establish the best business strategies in the medium and long term . In fact, in many cases this professional also has weight in the decision-making of the organization.
In summary, the tasks and responsibilities of an accounting clerk are vital to maintain control of the financial operations of the company, make it work properly and contribute to its growth. Of course, the accounting administrative profile is very technical , so if you are interested in working in this sector you will have to take a Higher Technician in Administration and Finance or a Postgraduate Accounting Expert , an approved program for access to the figure of Accounting Expert-REC.
The salary of an accounting clerk is around 18,700 gross euros per year . However, it depends a lot on your studies, specialization, level of responsibility and size of the company since in some cases they can reach 50,000 euros gross per year.